Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 3: Take Me OUT to the Ball Game

Day 3 [9.5.09]:

Today started with a discussion with God. It's really difficult to understand His plans sometimes... especially when they seem so different from my own dreams. We had to have a chat... And that's how my day began. I just want clarity. Clarity for where life is going, or how to even begin. Hard to get going when you don't know WHERE you are going. I believe that these times can bring me even closer to God if I allow it or it can distance me, if I allow it.

After a nice breakfast overlooking beautiful Deer Creek at our hotel....












we headed to Miami for a whirlwind of meet and greets.




What was supposed to be a nice afternoon of watching the Redhawks play a little football ended up being a mad dash from the 50 yard line, to a suite, to the tunnels, to the field (where I got to be on TV- hahah SO RANDOM, see pics), to the MU athletic dep't suite to a host of characters in between. Phew. It was nice, interacted with some fans (not of me;) ) and then had a chance to NETWORK- It was some serious networking happening today. Miami alum really are pretty swell. Btw... MU got boom-blasted on the field. Guess you really can't rebuild a team overnight...












Here's Martin and former MU teammates catching up:


We hit the road and stopped at Cracker Barrel, ate a delicious dinner and then got back on the road.
On the way, we got into several in depth discussions. One got me thinking about myself... I was thinking about how different we are in terms of how we go about facing opportunities. We were talking about if an employer called and offered me a job to be a Director of Diversity at their corporation/business. I would probably turn down the job because I wouldn't feel prepared for such a position. Martin, on the other hand would accept the job and learn as he went. The expectations would drive him towards success... I let fear to often limit what I'm willing to do- even if it's being handed to me. I HATE to fail. I mean, HATE (and by hate, I mean I'm scared). So often I don't take enough risks. First thing I will do when I get back to the 'Burgh is take a risk. I'm not sure what yet, but I'm going to do it just to start to get practice. Any suggestions? Especially ones that will push me to network more aggressively!






1 comment:

  1. First of all, I LOVE your blog. Second, I am offering my suggestion for the risk you should take when you get back home. You mentioned in an email to me (or maybe a FB msg, idk) that you were considering taking the next step in your career at home... I think you should do it! Start the business, and do it well! Do you know who the best risk takers are? Or who the best types are to analyze a situation to determine if a risk is worth it? I'll tell you -- People who don't normally take risks. THe reason why is you think deeper than the average Joe, because of your 'hatred' (fear) of failing. And with the start of a new business, networking HAS to increase 100 fold, so you accomplish both goals... Go for it Cousin!!

    ReplyDelete